|

Information

    Homepage   >     Industry    >     Main body

    Euro Sinks Ahead of ECB & Draghi, Implied Volatility Surges

    Abstract:Euro selling pressure builds as implied volatility measures skyrocket and dovish expectations fester while forex traders anxiously await the high-impact September ECB meeting slated for Thursday.

      EURO PRESSURED AS SEPTEMBER ECB MEETING LOOMS

    •   The Euro is down roughly 0.5% on balance as selling pressure mounts headed into the ECB‘s monetary policy update and speech from the central bank’s head Mario Draghi

    •   EURUSD implied volatility skyrockets alongside readings for other major Euro currency pairs as uncertainty builds around what might be revealed at the September ECB meeting

    •   Join DailyFX for Live Market Coverage of the ECB interest rate decision

      The Euro is crumbling with the European Central Bank (ECB) slated to provide its latest interest rate decision and monetary policy outlook Thursday at 11:45 GMT with ECB President Mario Draghi set to speak shortly after at 12:30 GMT. In light of the staggering event on deck surrounding the September ECB meeting, Euro implied volatility readings have surged as forex traders gear up for potentially sizable swings in EUR price action.

      EURO SELLOFF ACCELERATING INTO ECB MONETARY POLICY UPDATE & DRAGHI SPEECH

    Euro

      Chart created by @RichDvorakFX with TradingView

      EURUSD is among the worst performing Euro currency pairs and is strong-arming the EXY Euro currency index noticeably lower with EURGBP and EURJPY following to downside as well. Euro selling pressure has accelerated largely owing to the markets overarching dovish expectations that the September ECB meeting will reveal additional monetary policy accommodation.

      ECB RATE CUT PROBABILITIES (SEPTEMBER 2019)

    ECB

      Bullish Euro prospects have dwindled in light of a dreary Eurozone economy and suppressed inflation expectations with Germany on the brink of an economic recession. In turn, a persistently sluggish Euro-area economic backdrop has fueled an acceleration in ECB rate cut bets with markets currently pricing in a 66.8% probability of a 10bps rate cut and 33.2% probability of a more aggressive 20bps reduction in its key deposit facility rate from the current -0.4%. Correspondingly, spot EURUSD sank to its lowest level since May 2017 earlier this month.

      EURO IMPLIED VOLATILITY & TRADING RANGES: EURUSD, EURGBP, EURJPY, EURCHF, EURAUD, EURCAD

    Euro

      While certain members of the ECB called for an aggressive stimulus package recently like Finnish central banker Olli Rehn, others who hold less dovish views have voiced doubts over the need to provide further monetary policy accommodation. As such, the lack of clarity around the ECBs next move has sent overnight Euro implied volatility measures skyrocketing to levels not seen in over a year. We detailed yesterday the potential for heightened Euro price action over the short-term with EURUSD set to gyrate on ECB monetary policy uncertainty.

    Singapore Dollar

    • United Arab Emirates Dirham
    • Australia Dollar
    • Canadian Dollar
    • Swiss Franc
    • Chinese Yuan
    • Danish Krone
    • Euro
    • British Pound
    • Hong Kong Dollar
    • Hungarian Forint
    • Japanese Yen
    • South Korean Won
    • Mexican Peso
    • Malaysian Ringgit
    • Norwegian Krone
    • New Zealand Dollar
    • Polish Zloty
    • Russian Ruble
    • Saudi Arabian Riyal
    • Swedish Krona
    • Singapore Dollar
    • Thai Baht
    • Turkish Lira
    • United States Dollar
    • South African Rand

    United States Dollar

    • United Arab Emirates Dirham
    • Australia Dollar
    • Canadian Dollar
    • Swiss Franc
    • Chinese Yuan
    • Danish Krone
    • Euro
    • British Pound
    • Hong Kong Dollar
    • Hungarian Forint
    • Japanese Yen
    • South Korean Won
    • Mexican Peso
    • Malaysian Ringgit
    • Norwegian Krone
    • New Zealand Dollar
    • Polish Zloty
    • Russian Ruble
    • Saudi Arabian Riyal
    • Swedish Krona
    • Singapore Dollar
    • Thai Baht
    • Turkish Lira
    • United States Dollar
    • South African Rand
    Current Rate  :
    --
    Amount
    Singapore Dollar
    Convertible Amount
    -- United States Dollar
    Risk Warning

    The data of WikiFX all comes from official data of various forex regulatory institution such as FCA,ASIC,etc. These data are all purpose of being fair、objective and realistic,which doesn't ask for any public relations fees, advertising fees, ranking fees, data removing fees and other gray fees.WikiFX will do its best to maintain the consistency and synchronicity of its data with that of authoritative data sources with regulatory authorities, but will not undertake to keep it consistent and synchronized in real time.

    Given the complexity of forex industry, some brokers are issued legal licenses by cheating regulation institutes. If the data published by WikiFX are not in accordance with the fact, please click "Complaints "and "Correction" to inform us. We will check immediately and release the results.

    Foreign exchange, precious metals and over-the-counter (OTC) contracts are leveraged products, which have high risks and may lead to losses of your investment principal. Please invest rationally.

    Special Notice: Information provided by WikiFX is only for reference and does not indicate any investment advice. Investors should choose brokers by themselves. The risk involved with brokers is not relevant with WikiFX. Investors shall bear the relevant consequences and responsibilities on his own.

    ×

    Select Country/District